Tuesday, April 26, 2011

New Article on Pregnancy and Arthritis

Yes, it's been a while. A long while, in fact. In the months that I've been silent, I've sold my house, completed a cross country move (part of the reason why I put pregnancy back on the back burner) and am working on buying a new home here and settling in. It's been a lot, but I'm very happy to be in a sunnier, warmer climate now!

As part of that settling in, I had to find myself a new rheumatologist. Today was my first appointment and as I waited, I picked up a copy of Arthritis Today (AT). They had a very interesting article on arthritis and pregnancy. Unlike some things I've read out there, this article was actually very encouraging and inspiring. I couldn't find the exact article on the AT web site, but if you're interested, you can request a free copy online (go here).

I would also point out that the article seems to be even more up-to-date than the AT web site. For example, they had a list of safe and unsafe meds in the article and unlike the old list on the Web site, plaquenil is now considered safe during pregnancy. The AT article says the jury is still out on biologics, but as I've mentioned before, there are several small studies that have shown no increased risk of birth defects. As biologics become more prevalent (so it seems they are from all the commercials lately!), I hope there will be even more studies to put our minds at ease.

Anyway - just wanted to point out the very helpful AT article. Hope you get a chance to read it!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this!!! In my struggle to get pregnant, I've often questioned my meds, along with everything else. I'm going to go request that article.

    Hope everything is going well, despite your life busyness :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think you know about this, but in case anyone new finds your blog, the website www.otispregnancy.org, or www.raandpregnancy.org, also have up to date info and you can see what their studies have shown. i participated in their trial with enbrel when i was pregnant (also stayed on plaquenil).

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and experiences! If you have any questions, I will try to get back to you as soon as I can.