Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Thoughts on turning 30...

Today, I am 30. There, I put it in print for all to see. And you know, I think I'm OK with it. It's taken a while to get here, but I'm here. Along the way, I've had many thoughts about where I've been, where I am now, where I thought I would be at 30, etc. Children have, of course, factored into that.

There's definitely been some moments in the last couple of weeks where I thought "Oh my God, I'm about to be a childless 30-year-old!" But, now I'm back to "OK, I'm a child-free 30-year-old. Now let's go out for drinks!" :-P

All in all, I think I'm pretty happy with where I am and what I accomplished in my 20s. I got a degree, traveled, got married, bought a house, got settled in a career (oh yeah, and got a crappy autoimmune disorder, but faced it head-on). I don't know what this next decade will bring, but I'm hopeful. I'm looking forward to more travels, more experiences with friends & family—more good stuff all around, I guess.

So - I think we ought to let go of the notion that turning 30 being some big life-changing event that you should worry about and dread. It seems to me, 30 might just be the age where we finally get our stuff together. Here's to the big 3-0!

5 comments:

  1. everyone i know (me included) loves the 30s WAY more than the 20s. i hear the 40s are the same way...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great big Happy Birthday to you, VW! Thirty is a major life milestone, but it certainly doesn't mean that you're getting old, or that you've missed something along the way. I didn't mind turning 30, or 40 for that matter, but for some reason, 50 was my tough birthday. Since then I've discovered that, just like the others, this birthday was merely a number. Age shows up in our bodies, but the mind remains young. A very cool thing, I think.

    You'll have many good times in your 30s. Enjoy them thoroughly.
    -Wren

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to be the party pooper, but I found my 30's to be horrible. But that is b/c I contracted RA at 29. Too many life changes to count, and most of them bad ones. However, started a new treatment and I'm finally finding some relief, so maybe I'll rescue the second half of my 30's after all. :)

    HB, Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hit 30 at what seems like an eternity ago but I had my now toddler at 32. Physically, I do not feel as strong as I did at 24 when I had my now 10 year old, but I am a lot wiser and I think a better parent. Because of RA and fibromyalgia, I am always tired so I am as physically active and I can’t play with my toddler like I did my older one, but I can still be a good parent. I compensate in other ways. You have your act together and because of that, you will be ahead of people that don’t when you do have a child.

    Happy Birthday to you!

    I have a little something for you at my blog.
    http://ohboy-boys.blogspot.com/2010/07/winning-award-sharing-it-with-15-others.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! I'm newer to this decade too and can tell you that thus far, it's better than the 20's. I hope you find the same to be true!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and experiences! If you have any questions, I will try to get back to you as soon as I can.