Friday, July 16, 2010

"Aches & Pains" Forecast

So I was just looking at the weather for the upcoming weekend and I see that the Weather Channel has a new "Aches & Pains" forecast. Here's the full nationwide map:

 (courtesy of weather.com)

In my area today, the forecast is a "5" for moderate aches & pains. This pretty much jives with what my knees told me walking up the stairs today. The "regular" forecast is noting a 50% chance of rain. In my experience, I'm always a little stiffer/achier on rainy days, even though I've been doing pretty well otherwise lately.

Some studies have shown weather does not affect arthritis, other studies have shown that it does. Obviously the Weather Channel is jumping on the latter bandwagon (and I totally think they should be!).

What's your experience? Can you predict rain by the creaking in your joints? Does hot weather make you feel worse? Or are your pain levels pretty constant regardless? Love to hear your thoughts!

7 comments:

  1. My husband noticed years ago that I am worse in the spring with all the rain. We have had a lot of heat and humidity here in Chicagoland area recently and when I am out walking, I can feel and see my fingers swelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been affected by changes in the barometric pressure, though not so much by cold or heat, rain or sun themselves. My joints get "twingy" when a front, high or low, moves in or out.

    Good to hear from you, VW! Hope you're "weathering" well!
    -Wren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Dear Lord,

    When the rain is on its way, or when it shows up, my body falls apart at the seems. Never ever fails!!!

    - RA SB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting.
    I really don't notice the weather having much difference in how I feel. Although it's hard to tell with numerous med changes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nope...never noticed a connection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi again we need a map for the UK! I find the damp is the worst, humidity high or just wetting it down my knees kill and life gets much tougher. Need a lovely holiday to somewhere warm and dry I think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just like Wren & RA SB, it is the pressure change that affects me. I really think we would be great weather forecasters, a lot better than the one on our local TV stations, lol.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and experiences! If you have any questions, I will try to get back to you as soon as I can.