Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Zoloft Zings

Since going off birth control about a month and a half ago, I also decided to taper down my Zoloft. I was on it mainly because it seems whenever I use hormonal birth control, I struggle with anxiety and depression. I'm a little prone to that anyone, but when I'm on BC, it starts to interfere with my life, so I get a little extra help from medical friends.

Anyway... over a month, I slowly tapered down until last week when I stopped. Starting from 50mg/day, I went to 37.5mg for 2 weeks, 25mg for 2 weeks and 12.5mg for 1 week, then off.

Now, the last time I went off Zoloft, I had horrible dizziness. My doctor at the time said Zoloft doesn't cause withdrawal and I must just have an inner ear infection. Ok... Well, 5 years later I'm going through a similar thing. Yeah, I think Zoloft does have withdrawal symptoms, thank-you-very-much.

This time, fortunately, they're not as bad. I think that's because I wasn't on it as long this go around (about 1 1/2 years, instead of 5) and because I tapered more slowly. Right now, I just have what I call "the Zoloft Zings." I pretty much feel fine when I'm just sitting or walking in a straight line, but if I start to turn my head a lot - ZING! I get this weird "altered" feeling for a few seconds. Kind of a dizzy/cloudy feeling. Honestly, it's not that unpleasant - hah! :-)

I'm doing just fine, really, but I wanted to share in case anyone else out there goes through the same thing. It's frustrating to have a doctor tell you it's not real - or it's something else that can't be treated anyway. The good news is, in my experience, it doesn't last forever. I think last time it was about 2 weeks before the dizziness was fully gone. So far, I'm on day 6 of the Zings and they're getting less and less every day.

Isn't it fun dealing with all these medicines and there side effects?!? Anyway - now I'm happily down to just Enbrel, Plaquenil and Aleve (plus some vitamins & fish oil - which fortunately have no side effects for me).

I don't think we'll be trying for a baby anytime soon (that's for an upcoming post), but it's nice to know that if we do decide to go for it, I'm off all the medications I didn't want to be on while TTC. It's taken 6 months, but I'm there!

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe your doctor said that! It's pretty well-known that going off Zoloft too quickly can cause problems - that's why you have to taper in the first place! Wow!

    Anyway, I went through the same thing years ago when I discontinued Zoloft. Those "zings" are very real. I had some other, more bizarre symptoms too - I definitely went too fast. Oh well - live and learn!

    Hope the "zings" pass soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope those zings go away quick for you. After years of taking them off and on, I started getting those weird zings after taking narcotic pain relievers. They ARE unpleasant for me, though. Ugh. I don't take those meds anymore, period. Does make me wonder what I'm going to do if I get a really nasty RA flare, though. I'll deal with it when it comes, I guess ...

    And congrats for getting off the meds that could be an issue if you get pregnant. You're being VERY wise. Have a great weekend, VW.
    -Wren

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and experiences! If you have any questions, I will try to get back to you as soon as I can.