Sunday, May 16, 2010

Lil' Ol' Me?

One thing that makes having this not-so-fun disease a little easier is all the wonderful, supportive people I've met through it. Had I never been diagnosed, I never would've started this blog or connected with other blogs full of caring people like RA SB @ Confessions of an RA Superbitch, Wren @ Rheuma Blog, Leslie @ Southern Gal with RA and Lana  Living It, Loving It - just to name a few!

A couple of these wonderful ladies have passed along the Sugar Doll award to me:

For this award, you're supposed to post 10 interesting things about yourself, then pass along the award to 5 other great bloggers. Well, I think all of my readers who have blogs are great bloggers - so this goes out to all of  you!!

And because inquiring minds want to know - here's 10 things about me:

1. I used to volunteer on an underwater rescue team. I did everything from driving the boat, holding guide ropes for our ice divers and (when it wasn't icy) being a rescue diver myself.

2. I'm a writer not only online here, but also in my professional life. I write things like those "Exercise & Arthritis" brochures they have at the doctor's office, as well as those "School Bus Safety" coloring books your kids get on the first day of school.

3. My dream of dreams is to own my own bed & breakfast some day.

4. I LOVE the ocean. I would spend every day walking the beach if I could.

5. Per above, I got married on the beach at sunset - barefoot, toes in the sand, with just my parents & in-laws watching.

6. In college, I did my own "independent major" in biology & writing. It was a fun and liberating experience to create my own course of study.

7. I love to bake. I'm always fiddling with something in the kitchen - homemade bread, pizza dough, cookies, cakes, etc.

8. At the time of my RA diagnosis, I was actually in the best shape of my life. I had lost 70 lbs. and kept it off for a year, I was running every day & eating well. Makes you sometimes wonder about fairness in the universe... but I'm trying not to hold a grudge ;-)

9. I love book series that use the same character(s) throughout - the alphabet books by Sue Grafton, the Stephanie Plum novels by Janet Evanovich. It's like catching up with an old friend everytime there's a new addition.

10. My favorite way to change up my look is to dye my hair. I've been a variety of shades of blonde and brunette - and these days I'm sporting a dark raspberry red. Gotta keep it interesting!

I'd love hear some interesting things about you - either on your blog or in the comments. Let's get to know each other!

7 comments:

  1. wow!!!! a rescue diver!! sometimes when i talk about old me to my friends, i brag about how i'd been swimming since i was 4 and was pretty good at it till i had to stop because of stupid RA....but the fact that u were a member of underwater rescue team simply made me go wow!! [also, i no longer feel all that cool about being just a good swimmer ;-)]... i am so glad that i started blogging...thanks to this space i get to know the most fabulous people and get to know all the super cool things about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you've had to give up swimming. That's one of the things I am able to still very much enjoy. (Rescue diving, with all its heavy equipment, is out.) Yes, we've given up a lot - but at least we've some great people in the process!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too got married on a beach, but at sunrise! No one there but us, the minister and the photographer. Oh, and I was a fitness instructor at Bally's at night when I got diagnosed with RA (not my day job- I was just THAT much into fitness), so I know what you mean about the unfairness of it.

    Neat. Interesting tidbits.

    - RA SB

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your list! :) I must know how you got into writing the brochures and such! You love Sue Grafton too? AWESOME! Did you read the latest? U? I'm embarrassed to say I have re-read all of them again...starting with A. I just love Kinsey and her adventures! Rescue diving sounds like a very cool thing...what an awesome thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read U yet, Leslie - but I can't wait! I'm a library reader, so I'm at the whim of the available copies. Hopefully I'll get lucky & get a copy soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I hope you get to read it too...It is written in the same format of "S" which is my favorite and she goes back in the past and you hear the stories from each character. I love that! Let me know when you get a chance to read it and we can compare notes :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi!
    I am have been enjoying reading your blog. I had a baby in 2007 and have really severe RA, decided to give it a go as my RA was never controlled on the meds so thought I would give it a go with a few steroids and a lot of support.
    It is always nice when I meet other RAers especially live wire ones.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and experiences! If you have any questions, I will try to get back to you as soon as I can.