Tuesday, April 6, 2010

One less pill to take - hurrah!

I just finished my last pack of birth control for what will hopefully be a while! No, we're not ready to start trying quite yet, but I'd been having some unpleasant side effects and we figured it'd be good to give my body a break from the pill so when we are ready to start trying - we can jump right in!

For now I'll be using the fertility awareness method (FAM) for birth control. I learned this technique a few years ago and really liked it. But then life got crazy and it was hard for me to follow (since you have to take your temperature every day before you get out of bed - hard to do when you're always on the go!). But now that life has settled into a more predictable routine, I'm hoping I can give FAM a real shot this time.

The upsides are that it's drug-free (bringing the AM pill count down to "just" 6) and it helps you determine when you're ovulating. So, when we're ready to try, we should have a good idea of the best time to get pregnant. If you're interested in learning more about FAM, I highly recommend checking out the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" or visit www.tcoyf.com.

We're definitely making progress from where we were when I started this blog. It's been a great catalyst for talking more with my husband about what we both want for our futures. Right now, we're at the point where a baby is all just a matter of timing. I'm hoping we'll start at the end of the summer/beginning of fall, but we'll see. Just knowing that it will happen at some in the near future seems to have calmed my ticking biological clock, so I'm feeling a little more patient these days.

8 comments:

  1. It IS nice when we can discard a med, isn't it? One less to remember, one less to worry about in terms of side-effects. Dang, that feels good!

    It's clear that you're planning very carefully for your pregnancy, and that's so smart. Here's wishing you the best as you move toward this new phase in your life. And here's also wishing that your RA will give you a nice long break before and after the baby is born.
    -Wren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't stop bc until we were ready to try for a baby. I kind of wished that I had stopped it for a couple of months first, just to get it out of my system. That first month was pretty wild, with all of my phamtom pregnancy syptoms, that were really just coming off bc side-effects. Nothing major, but got my hopes up anyways.

    One less pill is always good! All the best in your efforts for a baby :) We're just into month 4 of trying. And, I still have my panic attack momemts of, "oh my gosh, did I forget to take my pill???", lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an exciting time in your life to be thinking about bringing a baby into the world. It sounds like you are making lots of good choices in preparing your body for a good home. Congratulations on one less pill. That is awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an award for you at my blog.
    http://ohboy-boys.blogspot.com/2010/04/sugar-doll-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found you via another blog. Congratulations on your attempting to become pregnant and not only that, but smartly. I wish you all the best in your attempts. Just relax and let nature take her course. Stay strong! Hugs. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi, just found your blog through other RA blogs i'm finding. i have RA too and have a 1 year old, i blogged about some of the RA and preg stuff from april-dec 2008 if you want to read it or ask questions about my experience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. and do you know about the study/website www.raandpregnancy.org, or www.otispregnancy.org?? if not, look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Clare! Yes, I've seen your site - great to know someone else has taken Enbrel during pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments and experiences! If you have any questions, I will try to get back to you as soon as I can.